We’re doing this via two prominent cultural heritage websites: Europeana and The European Library. Our project is:
- Funded under the European Commission’s CIP 2007 – 2013 programme;
- A three-year project, which began in February 2012 and will finish January 2015;
- Aggregating 18 million historic newspaper pages for Europeana and The European Library;
- Converting 10 million of those newspaper pages to full text. This will help users quickly search for specific articles, people and locations mentioned within the newspaper;
- Creating a special content viewer to improve online newspaper browsing;
- Building tools for professionals, which will better assess the quality of newspaper digitisation in relation to levels of detail, speed and costs.
For the most recent news from the project please see our blog. You can also read about 6 of our main goals and use our glossary.